Hello Michele,

Your English is very easy to understand!

When you use env.IBMMFRTYPMDL, you're telling the AS/400 to convert from SCS/AFPDS to (in thie example) the printer language for the HP4 line of printers.

This is a good thing to do because it lets your AS/400 (or iSeries or System i5) choose the fonts, graphics, orientation, etc. With the Windows software, you were telling Windows to select those things for you, which gives your programs less control.

For example, I can write an RPG program on the AS/400 that prints the report headings in a large helvetica font, prints a barcode, and prints the rest of the report in a small courier font. If I ran it through the Windows configuration that you mention in your message, the Windows program will make all of the fonts be the same, and make them all he same size. It'll discard the barcode completely. However, the way you're currently doing it with IBMMFRTYPMDL, these settings will be preserved. And that's a GOOD thing, because you want your programs to be able to control this stuff if they want to.

All of the problems you mention are configuration options on the AS/400 that you have set improperly. You don't like the size of the font? Change it. You don't like the paper orientation? Change it. Or turn *AUTO orientation off!

For example, print screens will (by default) use the print file named QSYSPRT on the AS/400. If you want to change their appearance, you can do this:

       CHGPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) PAGRTT(0) LPI(6) CPI(10)

This tells the AS/400 that you want a page rotation (PAGRTT) of 0 degrees. (By default, it's set to *AUTO, and this sometimes causes the system to rotate the page 90 degrees, which is one of your complaints.)

The LPI(6) and CPI(10) tells it to choose a font that's small enough to print 6 lines (or "rows") per inch. And 10 characters (or "columns") per inch. You can change these to various values to control the font size.

Or you can change the font directly with the FONT() keyword.

         CHGPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) FONT(11 12)

Hit help on the CHGPRTF command to see all of the differeent options you can change. You can override these values temporarily in your programs with the OVRPRTF command. You can also use DDS for your printouts to print graphics, barcodes, etc, as well as control the fonts on a per-word basis if you want to.