On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Sean Porterfield wrote:

Also, sometimes my keyboard buffer doesn't work. I don't recall if it is some particular screen that causes that behavior, but I do notice it quite a bit when I'm trying to signoff. I'll lose the first few letters of the command and have to go back and put them in.

On a related note, I see blank spaces from the typeahead even though the characters are there. It's not always (ever?) the first character typed, so there is a gap. Odd but not a show-stopper.

Yes, those are two different bugs.  I don't know how to reproduce the
first (or the second really...)  I would say I get the second far more
often than the first.

I experienced the first bug today. I was in our custom call tracking (help desk) software getting ready to sign off for lunch. When I exit out of the software after using it all morning, there is a multi-second delay. I pressed F24 and F3 then typed SIGNOFF. Obviously (?) there were two screens displayed before part of my signoff command showed. I fixed it too fast to notice how much was displayed.

Ok, I'll have to see what I can do to reproduce it. Good to know, thanks for the report.

On another topic, is the following picture easily explained?

http://linux.porterfield.net/x5250+enhanced.png

Notice the top menu as proof I am using enhanced mode. The other behind it came up with gaps before I put the top menu up.

Not easily explained as to the *cause*, but the reason why it comes up the way is because the first window is not sent using the CREATE WINDOW Structured Field 5250 command. Why that doesn't happen I don't know. I've seen this a few times before, but not for a while. I figured it was fixed. If possible, a tracefile of this might be helpful. Start x5250 with trace=tracefile option. Remember, this logs *everything* (including passwords) so edit it as necessary. This is one reason why I'm thinking of a new feature that lets you turn on and off tracefile support on demand.

And wow, you should have seen it when I pressed F8 to move that menu!

I'd like to.

Also, pressing F7 there causes my AS/400 job to end. F7 is not a valid key and should not be sent. It works fine in xt5250, so it must be an x5250 problem.

Again, a tracefile might help. Just the job ends, or x5250 crashes?

Thanks a million for all your bug reports.  They are very helpful.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw