On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Jack J. Woehr wrote:

> SSL is in /usr/local/ssl. Configure didn't find it at first so I
> passed in the with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl flag. Still didn't find the
> headers, which are in /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl so I linked them
> up to /usr/local/ssl/include.

Configure SHOULD be checking the following places for the OpenSSL include
files (in this order)
    /usr/local/include/openssl
    /usr/local/openssl/include/openssl
    /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
    /usr/include/openssl
    /usr/openssl/include/openssl
    /usr/ssl/include/openssl
    /usr/pkg/include/openssl
    /usr/pkg/openssl/include/openssl
    /usr/pkg/ssl/include/openssl
    /usr/lib/include/openssl
    /usr/lib/openssl/include/openssl
    /usr/lib/ssl/include/openssl
    /var/ssl/include/openssl
    /var/ssl/openssl/include/openssl
    /var/ssl/ssl/include/openssl
    /opt/include/openssl
    /opt/openssl/include/openssl
    /opt/ssl/include/openssl

At least, that's what it was intended to do, and that's the way it looks
in my source code.

> Then configure was happy. I have also added the /usr/local/ssl/lib
> directory LIBRARY_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It does not hunt for the libraries themselves, it relies on the
system's library path for that...  Asuming your system uses ldconfig, then
setting these variables should help.

> Text relocation remains                         referenced
>     against symbol                  offset      in file
> <unknown>                           0x3c0
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a(s3_lib.o)
> <unknown>                           0x3c4
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a(s3_lib.o)
> <unknown>                           0x3c8
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a(s3_lib.o)
> <unknown>                           0x3cc
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a(s3_lib.o)
>
> ... etc for a few thousand symbols.

I have never seen messages like this before (I'm not a Solaris guy) but
this does not make sense to me!   It seems to be saying that the file
referenced symbols that it cannot find in the library?   But, that doesn't
make much sense, does it?  I mean, where did it get offsets from in the
first place, wasn't it from those same library files?

Is it possible that your .a file is not in sync with your .so files?  Or
maybe that you've got two versions of OpenSSL on your system?  Or that
your copy of libtool is corrupt/broken somehow?

This is just a stab in the dark, mind you...  I know nothing about
Solaris, and normally libtool does all of the work of linking the
libraries for me, so I don't have to worry about it...