On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Scott Klement wrote:

> Please grab a fresh copy from CVS and try again.   One caution however.
> don't specify "trace=tracefile" because lp5250d is a daemon process. When
> it goes into the background and becomes a daemon, it changes it's current
> directory to /

Okay, I get the fresh bits and try it.

> So, instead, do something like lp5250d trace=/home/james/tracefile

Ok.

> I could not get outputcommand to fail... I tried it like this:

Yeah, on further testing I discovered that it failed only when I tried to
run it as described in the man page:

       lp5250d    env.DEVNAME=PSPRT    outputcommand='scs2ps    >
       scs$$.ps' as400sys

It seems that the two $$ cause problems.  Since I'm looking for a way to
make the filename change as different files are printed I thought I'd give
the $$ a try.  Try running with the $$ and see what happens.

> lp5250d env.DEVNAME=PRTTOUNIX "outputcommand=scs2ascii>/tmp/testme.txt" as400

Yup, this works fine for me, too.

> Oh, BTW, scs2pdf doesn't work, and isn't finished.  Use scs2ps instead,
> and pipe that to ps2pdf or similar...

and lp5250d exits when outputcommand uses scs2pdf, even after I worked on
scs2pdf :(  We did use scs2ps followed by ps2pdf and shortly discovered
that the resulting pdf was not searchable.  I *think* I'm finding out that
newer versions of ghostscript and ps2pdf fix that but it is still unclear.
The trouble is that the resulting pdf is bitmapped, not text.

Unrelated to tn5250 but relevant to my project:  anyone know how big (in
megabytes) of a file can be loaded into acrobat reader?

James Rich
james@eaerich.com