There may be an easier way... I found this in the Win32 API:

    GetUserName() -- "Retrieves the user name of the current thread.  This
        is the name of the user currently logged onto the system."  "If
        the current thread is impersonating another client, the
        GetUserName function returns the user name of the client that
        the thread is impersonating."

Perfect

So I could retrieve user name, and replace the string '$loginname$'
with the user name that was returned...

Sweet

Naturally, we'd want to do the same thing in the U**x version...

Of course!