The CVS version of SAMBA dose fix the problem you may want to check it out.

                    Martin Rowe

                    <martin@dbg400.net        To:     LINUX5250@midrange.com

                    >                         cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Very importand
(feature) - please read
                    owner-linux5250@mi

                    drange.com

                    07/27/01 05:45 AM

                    Please respond to

                    LINUX5250

Hi Patrick
On Friday 27 July 2001 7:30 am, Patrick Bielen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well to begin i want to congratulate the programmers of the
tn5250-software
> with their great work... the program is becomming more and more stable
and
> user-friendly, and contains some very nice features (screen mapping
> 127*32).
>
> But there are three things i miss, and they are ....
>
> 1. Key-macros as in Client Access for windows.

I'm not aware of anything in tn5250 that offers this - I'd like it too.
You'll have to see what the developers suggest as an alternative.

> 2. file transfer from or to an AS/400 as in CA for Win.

tn5250 *did* have an asdbget command to get AS/400 data in XML format, but
that disappeared a while back (at least I don't have it from the current
CVS). I get round it using standard AS/400 file export/import tools -
CPYTOIMPF and CPYFRMIMPF. You can use them to get stream files in .csv
(comma
seperated values) and vice versa. I have a free (GPL) AS/400 tool to do a
bit
more in the way of formatting data into .csv format if you're interested -
see my .sig for details

> 3. the possibility to connect (mount) to share-folders (windows-folders)

You want NFS, not Samba - Samba just won't work with NetServer shares :-(
Have a look at this post I made to the Midrange-L list a while back for
more
details http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200008/msg01002.html If you
search on my name & nfs in Google's usenet archives, you'll probably get
more
info.

One thing to be aware of is a ?bug? in the AS/400's implementation of NFS
prior to V4R5M0 where the mount command in more recent Linux distros won't
work - you need an earlier version of the mount binary to get your Linux
box
to see the NFS share. SusE 6.4 was okay, later versions not. Mandrake 7.0
was
okay, but stopped working for 7.1 onwards. I'm using the Mandrake 7.0
binary
on my Debian box to get NFS shares working okay. Another problem (that I've
not been able to get round) is accessing folders in QDLS. Trying to work
with
them after they are mounted makes my box very sick indeed :-(

Once you get NFS going lots of fun things are possible. The RUNRMTCMD
command
on the AS/400 doesn't just talk to CA clients - it works fine with the
rexecd
server on Linux/Unix boxen too. I have PDM options set up to drop source
members onto the IFS and open them up in Vim/GVim full screen - scrolling
through 65/75 lines at a time beats SEU and means I print out a lot less.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you think this is getting too off-topic
for Linux5250, though I expect most people on the list have had to sort
through these issues too.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net