  • Subject: Re: tn5250-0.15.2 is realeased.
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:07:12 -0500

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 02:28:37PM -0600, Scott Klement wrote:
> "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@Baldwingroup.COM> wrote:
> >
> > I think we'd be finished when everybody who cares to work on it is
> >  dead ;)  If you are asking when we will have a feature-complete
> >  emulator, I think that we already do (excluding DBCS support and
> >  some other minor things); I think that what throws people is that
> >  already do (excluding DBCS support and some other minor things); I
> >  think that what throws people is that it is awkward since it is a
> >  console based application and most consoles don't support as many
> >  keys as users are used to - we have a few kludges to work around
> >  this, but no clean, straight-forward solution
>
> Actually, I've got it mapped to use the exact same keys(under FreeBSD)
> that I use in Windows under RUMBA.
>
> (Tho, so far everything I've tried to get the keyboard mapping working
> under RedHat 6.1 has failed miserably... I've been up and down both
> the new & old README files, without any success...  I don't think it
> can find the terminfo entry...)

Hmm, I've never actually done the loadkeys thing.  I don't use it from the
console much, mostly because it annoys me that VGA hardware doesn't support
underlining text - blah.  I've looked at the keymaps and boy are they ugly.
I should probably verify that they work, given that we've been through quite
a few kernel revisions and 5250 revisions since I last heard anything about
them.

> > There is a gnome 'front-end' for the emulator in the works which can
> >  be downloaded via CVS.  I think that once I can nail the kinks out
> >  of this, users will have much more of what they expect and
> >  perception will no longer be our enemy.
>
> The reason that I'm not yet giving TN5250 to "ordinary users" to use
> in production, yet, is the various bugs that you're currently working
> on...  (Assertion Failed crashes, numeric sign problems, etc) tho I
> havent had a chance to try the latest source from CVS yet...

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to make this development tree kinda' short, and
keeping Gnome stuff separate.  (and learning DDS and making a test suite).

> > As for what versions of Linux... hopefully all of them.  We're
> >  distribution-neutral.  I use RH, I know people on this list use
> >  Debian and SuSE, and I've gotten a partial bootdisk+emulator to
> >  work using CClinux.  In addition, there's full FreeBSD support
> >  thanks to Scott Klement's patience, which should hopefully bode
> >  bode well on OpenBSD/NetBSD platforms.   Historically, it's been
> >  working at one time or another on NeXT, SCO UnixWare, and Windows
> >  95 (the Win9x support should be soon to return).  I tried to get
> >  it working under Solaris once, but it had some strange problems
> >  and I didn't have the time to go further.  It almost worked, tho ;)
>
> Heh.. I dont know about "full" FreeBSD support...   it works great in
> console mode, but haven't had much luck in an xterm yet. :)  Since
> its XFree86, I would've assumed that it'd work the same way that it
> does in Linux... but apparently not :)
>
> Maybe I need to use xmodmap?

No clue.  That's why I think gtk/gnome support is a big deal... no messy
keymaps, no weird keyboard modes or Xdefaults, just "make install".  Most of
that stuff is obscur and/or ugly.

The biggest factor right now is time.  I know what needs to be done and I
almost have the code memorized ;)

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice