  • Subject: Re: tn5250-0.15.2 is realeased.
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:37:53 -0500

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 11:49:34AM -0500, Everidge - Linux Server wrote:

> You guys are having way too much fun developing this Linux TN5250 Emulator.
>Is there a
> possible finish date for the code?  And, what versions of Linux will it
>support?  What
> are some of the future enhancements?  I'm not new to the Linux world nor the
>to the
> AS/400 and see a future in both systems.

I think we'd be finished when everybody who cares to work on it is dead ;)  If
you are asking when we will have a feature-complete emulator, I think that we
already do (excluding DBCS support and some other minor things); I think what
throws people is that it is awkward since it is a console based application and
most consoles don't support as many keys as users are used to - we have a few
kludges to work around this, but no clean, straight-forward solutions.

There is a gnome 'front-end' for the emulator in the works which can be
downloaded via CVS.  I think once I can nail the kinks out of this, users will
have much more of what they expect and perception will no longer be our enemy.

I think the big hurdles are Gnome and DBCS/internal Unicode (to better handle
international character sets)... Once we're over those hurdles, I think it'd
be 1.0 time.  I'd like someone to implement a KDE front-end as well, but I
know nothing of Qt and I'm not good at getting _other_ people to help ;)

As for what versions of Linux... hopefully all of them.  We're distribution-
neutral.  I use RH, I know people on this list use Debian and SuSE, and I've
gotten a partial bootdisk+emulator to work using CClinux.  In addition,
there's full FreeBSD support thanks to Scott Klement's patience, which should
hopefully bode well on OpenBSD/NetBSD platforms.   Historically, it's been
working at one time or another on NeXT, SCO UnixWare, and Windows 95 (the
Win9x support should be soon to return).  I tried to get it working on Solaris
once, but it had some strange problems and I didn't have the time to go
further.  It almost worked, tho ;)

> Looking foward to using this product, maybe in a production environment,
>sometime soon.

Cool!