Yes, we did have this conversation last year and yes, you read the docs on the API correctly.  However, as IBM was developing the API, I tossed them the scenario that if a user externally updates a certificate, using the original CSR, then all you should need to do is call the API.  They agreed, and changed the API to add format RNWC0300 to do just that.   Just import the cert and you should be good to go.  This does work with the old DCM.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=ssw_ibm_i_74/apis/qycdrnwc.htm

To wit: "If an existing CSR is used when requesting a renewed certificate, then import the renewed certificate and maintain the same key pair using format RNWC0300."

So, it should be simple:  I already have Java code (servlet) with a UI that prompts for all the LetsEncrypt parameters.  It renews the certificate and all I want to do is automate the import of the renewed certificate back into DCM (which I do manually right now).  I don't care if it is a PCML call, a ServiceProgramCall or some other way to invoke the API which by all appearances seems ridiculously easy to  implement (but isn't)....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner