With some difficulty, I found out where Linux keeps the Host Table (/etc/hosts), went into it with VI (the only other obvious choice over an SSH connection was EMACS, and I haven't used THAT in over 20 years), and added a host table entry for the requisite domain, and without even having to restart anything, it all started working again. It still can't reach GOOGLE, but who gives a #### whether a server can do so?

Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction. The real key was the page Mihael referred me to,

http://wiki.rpgnextgen.com/doku.php?id=problems_connecting_to_server

which clued me into the resolution issue.

Funny thing: others around here didn't believe me when I concluded (concurrently with everybody else on this thread) that it was a DNS problem, but to quote Conan Doyle's most famous character, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be true."

--
JHHL

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.