From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mark Walter
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 10:09 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: RE: Java Version issues

See inline..

Thanks,

Mark
-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:30 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400

Mark Walter skrev:
I'm trying to run a java class on my 400. But I'm getting an
UnsupportedClassVersionError. I compiled the class in Netbeans with
version
1.4.2. Which is what java -version shows in QSH on the iSeries.

If I try to do a JAVAP -Verbose on the class, it returns major and minor
versions of both 0. Is there any way to debug this error further?

Some ideas:

Run javap on your pc against the java class file
Still returns major 0 minor 0

Double check that the file was transferred in binary mode if using ftp.
Dropped into iNav from my PC/

Ensure you don't have a JAVA_HOME variable set.
Not sure where to set this, but there is no environment variable as such.

Force the java version with "java -Djava.version=1.4 MyClass"
Same error.

Use "java -verbose MyClass" to see when the class breaks.
Here is where it fails:
/QIBM/ProdData/
OS400/Java400/jdk/lib/rt.jar
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:195)
at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:49)
at
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError.<init>(UnsupportedClassVers
ionError.java:34)
at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java
:168)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:312)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$300(URLClassLoader.java:85)
at
java.net.URLClassLoader$ClassFinder.run(URLClassLoader.java:636)

--
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen "...plus... Tubular Bells!"