On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike wrote:
> I was just comparing price on VisualStudio 2008 Pro. You can pretty much do
> everything with pro.
Well, everything but develop for non-Windows platforms <laughing>.

Joe

I'm sure he meant everything as in all the different types of
development: console, Windows Forms, ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC
(which is looking phenomenal), Web Services, WCF, WWF, WPF, WPF in
Browser, Silverlight, etc. etc. With Pro (and maybe standard) you can
do multiple languages like C#, VB, F#, and C++ (you can even do Java
via J#, although i don't know anyone who is serious about that.) And
of course you can install additional language support for Ruby,
Python, Cobol, etc. And if you really don't care about multiple
languages, there are a bunch of Free VS products under the Express
line that still support most of these features.

I think the point is that when it comes to Developer Environments,
Microsoft got it right. I'm now in my third iteration of Visual
Studio, and I get more impressed with every upgrade. It was, in fact,
the product that finally made me serious about learning to code for
Windows. I definitely appreciate your point about it only running on
Windows (if you exclude the Mono project for Linux .NET), but how many
of us really face a problem with client running on platforms other
than windows? I'm not saying it will never happen, but the vast
majority of our Client's PCs run Windows, and all but the most extreme
anti-MS people have at least some Windows servers on their networks.

Hope I don't sound like a Fanboy! :-D