Hello Joe,

I got dragged away yesterday. This has generated some discussion.
For my purposes I cannot easily use a 'get the entire result set up
at once and work through it' method because my data is subject to
adds, updates and deletes. Not to mention the table sizes make that
problematic. I have to get the records real-time.

The application traverses a group of db tables on user demand. There
is a forward, backward, and jump button. It displays information
germane to the auctioning of a vehicle. It has to be real-time on
a record level. I have decided to go toward the RLA classes - in
fact I am about done.

I want to thank all the participants of this discussion for helping to
educate me - I can always use it... And thank you Joe especially, for
the excellent links you provided which had so far escaped my poor
ability at googling... <grin>

On another note:

I had the prototype working using sql and it worked well enough except
for one problem - it tended to create a never ending buildup of open
files in the job which I could never pin down. I'm sure I was doing
something wrong but I could never find it. Hence the interest in RLA
or continuing Cursors that stay engaged.

Thanks again everybody!

Regards, Rick