Hi Mike,

I think there are opportunities for miscommunication here. "Web
service" means something specific to most Java developers and that's
something substantially different from just accessing multiple databases.

Secondly, your answer really doesn't tell us anything about the
"enterprise" needs of your application(s.) So we can't really say if just a
web container like Tomcat or Jetty is sufficient or if you need something
that supplies more services. There are a lot of options around.

"persistent data connections" doesn't sound like a very good idea at
first, but that's essentially what connection pools provide, and you should
probably look to using those regardless of whether you use a web or
J(2)EE container. There are also a number of other factors that contribute
to database related performance beyond just connection persistence.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400