Hi,
This page in the documentation explains the error message and deprecation:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wsdoc400/topic/com.ibm.websphere.iseries.doc/info/ae/ae/rdat_jnditips.html?resultof=%22%64%69%72%65%63%74%22%20%22%6c%6f%6f%6b%75%70%22%20

This page has a short description looking up a datasources relational DB
access and short example:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wsdoc400/topic/com.ibm.websphere.iseries.doc/info/ae/ae/cdat_datsorres.html?resultof=%22%64%61%74%61%73%6f%75%72%63%65%22%20%22%64%61%74%61%73%6f%75%72%63%22%20%22%6c%6f%6f%6b%75%70%22%20
  The page has some appropriate related resource links at the bottom too I
think.

Here is an example from the documentation of using the indirect lookup
(excerpted from
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wsdoc400/topic/com.ibm.websphere.iseries.doc/info/ae/ae/rdat_dawp04.html?resultof=%22%64%61%74%61%73%6f%75%72%63%65%22%20%22%64%61%74%61%73%6f%75%72%63%22%20%22%6c%6f%6f%6b%75%70%22%20):
//************************************************************************************

//* The getDS method performs the JNDI lookup for the DataSource.

//************************************************************************************

private void getDS() {
   try {
      Hashtable parms = new Hashtable();
parms.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
         "com.ibm.websphere.naming.WsnInitialContextFactory");
      InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext(parms);

      // Perform a naming service lookup to get the DataSource object.
      ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/SampleDB");
   }
   catch (Exception e) {
      System.out.println("Naming service exception: " + e.getMessage());
      e.printStackTrace();

             "Nancy Cochran"
             <ncochran@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             java400-l-bounces                                          cc
             @midrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       indirect jndi lookup of resource
             03/15/2006 03:12
             PM

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

How do I use an indirect jndi lookup of a datasource?  WAS 6 server
gives a warning that direct JNDI lookups are depreciated and I should be
using indirect lookups.  I tried the following code and still get the
warning.  Is there something I need to set up in the WAS server, like a
Connection Factory?  The code works, just gets the warning message in
the server logs.  The word 'indirect' tells me that I shouldn't be using
the datasource name in the application code, but I can't figure out the
correct code.

web-xml:

<resource-ref>
     <res-ref-name>jdbc/myds</res-ref-name>
     <res-auth>Application</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

application code:
   ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/myds");