David Morris wrote:

Thorbjørn,

We have used an Apache-based Tomcat release on the iSeries for a few years now.
That application was written in RPGIV and rewritten in Java -- business logic
and all. We have a couple of hundred users and a substantial transaction load.
The database that supports this application has several key tables with +100
million rows. Performance on an 825 is good and the users like it a lot better
than the green screen applications it replaced. The speed of your network is
also a much bigger factor in any web-based application than it is with a green
screen application.
Do you have a lot of database access? If so, do you use the native driver and do you have any measurements of how well it works as opposed to the JTOpen driver?

The speed of the network is relevant because you generally transfer much more data per web page than per character screen, but I don't expect the difference between an OS/400 based and a Linux/Whatever-based server to be that great. Am I right there?

I have done a lot of benchmarking and we get much better performance running
natively on the iSeries than on a Windows box. In some cases, I have had to
adapt code to avoid problematic code. IBM may have been able to help in those
cases but we do not have software support and I was able to find a work around
fairly quickly.
Could you briefly list what kinds of problems you have encounted? I would expect somethings that are not quite like the Unix/Windows world that Java expects.

I would write code differently if I were building a multi-tier application. I
would cache aggressively and use more stored procedures. That would add some
complexity but would be required to get similar performance.
When you say multi-tier, does that mean a scenario where data has to move between JVM's on seperate machines? I.e. over the network?

That is always expensive. But you would move logic in the database layer - with stored procedures - in order to accomplish what exactly?
We develop on a workstation and deploy to the iSeries. We have a development,
test and production environment on the iSeries. The development environment is
seldom used except for deployment testing, benchmarking and troubleshooting
iSeries specific issues. We have strict seperation of duties and deploy using a
hands-off process. Restarting is much slower on the iSeries (about a minute)
but still acceptable.
So you see the same restart period as I do. Nice to know that. Is it every time or just a "recompile once" penalty?

Oh, what is the development environment you have?   Curious to know :)

Thanks for your reply.