java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 20/09/2005 17:10:34:

> > From: StokesP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > > And there's simply no way you get the same reliability on a Windows
> > > machine (or a Linux machine, or even a Solaris machine).
> >
> > I would differ on that point.
>
> Based on what?

Uptime of a cluster of Linux Xeon or Solaris boxes with failover for all
instances of the app server compared to what ? AS400 used as the DB, if
that goes down, you're dead, if WebSphere goes down your dead, but with a
cluster of vastly more inexpensive kit gives you multiple machines,
multiple instances of the app server (WebSphere or Tomcat), are you not in
a better position, least considing you've saved 100k if not more ?

> > > I see.  How about an APAR number?  Typically when a problem is
> reported
> > > to IBM, there's an APAR number associated with it.
> >
> > "I can't advise on any specifics, Sorry."
>
> Oh stop.  You originally publicly reported this problem back in 2004
> running on WebSphere 4 (a particularly horrid release).  This was a
> third party application using log4j for something, and you were getting
> 22 second response time as opposed to just under a second for Tomcat and
> WebSphere running on Windows.  Peter Lin suggested a GC problem, and you
> never posted again.

"Oh stop" : That sounds like the wife when I'm trying to buy another
useless computer for the home.

"You originally publicly reported this problem back in 2004 running on
WebSphere 4" : WS 4, 5 the list goes on, VR52, V5R3 blah. IBM Priority 1
support concludes the issue my company saw and the recommendation was not
to go back to AS400 for the application server.

> > That's fine, no problems there. This doesn't encourage any community
> > support either.
>
> Community support for what?  An unknown problem that you can't tell us
> about on a third party application you can't name runs poorly on an
> iSeries that doesn't exist.

Like your attitude.

> I'm sure you're having a problem, Peter, but without a little more input
> we can't identify whether this is just a one-off problem or a real
> issue.   For example, what did your third party provider say about the
> issue?  Did you run benchmarks to pinpoint the problem?

Joe, I'm not having any problem and I don't need resoluitions myself
because I've already had the (re) recommendations from IBM to stay where we
are, so ?

Benchmarks, profiling etc put it down to AS400 JVM implementation and
generics with AS400 J2EE apps (from myself, many third party consultants
and IBM worldwide).

> > I'll sign off now as I don't want to get involved in any petty
> platform /
> > OS wars - I'll leave that to people who have time to waste.
>
> This isn't petty.  Just trying to pin down facts, is all.  To tell
> someone they should test performance is all fine and good; everybody
> should do that.  But it would be nice to have more information about the
> type of application that gets a 40-to-1 performance boost moving from an
> 8-way i5 to a Wintel machine.

Wintel? Linux / Solaris is what is in use. Wintel was used as an example of
how, even Bill Gates' stuff runs apps fine as it was fully tested as part
of the AS400, Linux, Solaris tests. Boys in blue (re) recommended
non-AS400.

Let's get to the point re making sure you're going to the right
architecture, in my experience of this issue, every other platform tested
(Linux / Solaris man myself) works fine. Put it on AS400 then we saw
problems. Resolution by IBM was stay off AS400. Test first or don't lock
yourself down to a legacy system if you can't test first, that way you give
yourself the AS400 / Linux / Solaris choice.

Pete.