Like this?

     // instantiate a new workbook object if not found.
        workbookObject = newWorkbookObject();
        s_fileName = new_String(qualFileName);
        book = openWorkbook(workbookObject:s_fileName);
        if book = *null;
           book = new_HSSFWorkbook();
        endif;

I'm on V5R2.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             "Paul Morgan"
             <pmorgan@jjillgro
             up.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             java400-l-bounces                                          cc
             +mwalter=hanoverw
             ire.com@midrange.                                     Subject
             com                       Re: Date()

             06/17/2005 02:25
             PM

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

Joe,

That's an RPG problem which could be solved by letting us compare any
variable against some sort of *NULL reserved word.  Take some of the SQL
logic for null values and include that in RPG.  Let's ditch the %nullind()
BIF.

As for the extra space in the file (shrug).  It's a database.  I'm not too
concerned about how the data is stored.

Paul

--
Paul Morgan