> From: Bruce Collins
>
> I have a java program that connects to the iSeries via JDBC and
returns
> output. If I want to put that into a JSP and present it via a web
> browser what would be involved.
>
> If you have examples that would be wonderful

Bruce, the JSP Model II way to do this is to put the data from the
result set into a bean, and then expose the bean to the JSP page.  The
quick and dirty way is to simply expose the result set.  I posted
something on Ignite/400 a while back that compromises: it puts the
result set in a bean.

The servlet reads a file called "DATAFILE" in library "DATA", with six
fields (name, address, phone, email, department and occupation) and then
spits out a report in a JSP.  It also does some timings.

I'll repost it here:

THE SERVLET:
------------
package com.pbd.datatest;

import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
import java.util.Date;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class DataServlet extends HttpServlet implements Servlet {

   public class Data
   {
      public Connection conn;
      public Statement s;
      public ResultSet rs;
      public java.util.Date start;
      public java.util.Date read;

      public void close() throws Exception
      {
         rs.close();
         s.close();
         conn.close();
      }

      public long getReadTime()
      {
         return read.getTime() - start.getTime();
      }

      public long getTotalTime()
      {
         return new java.util.Date().getTime() - start.getTime();

   public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
      throws ServletException, IOException {
         try {
            Data data = new Data();
            data.start = new Date();
            Class.forName("com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver").
               newInstance();
            if (System.getProperty("os.name").equals("OS/400"))
               data.conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
                  "jdbc:as400://localhost", "USER", "PWD");
            else
               data.conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
                  "jdbc:as400://host", "USER", "PWD");
            data.s = data.conn.createStatement();
            data.rs = data.s.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM
DATA.DATAFILE");
            data.read = new Date();
            HttpSession hs = req.getSession(true);
            hs.setAttribute("data", data);
            getServletContext().
               getRequestDispatcher("/app/showdata.jsp").
                  forward(req, resp);
         } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            throw new ServletException(e);

   public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
      throws ServletException, IOException {
      doGet(req, resp);

THE JSP:
--------
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>
<HEAD> <TITLE>showdata.jsp</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <jsp:useBean
class="com.pbd.datatest.DataServlet.Data"
 id="data" scope="session"></jsp:useBean>
                <th>Name</th>
                <th>Address</th>
                <th>Phone</th>
                <th>e-mail</th>
                <th>Department</th>
                <th>Occupation</th>
<% while (data.rs.next()) { %>
<% }
   data.close();
%>
Read time: <%= data.getReadTime() %> ms<br>
Total time: <%= data.getTotalTime() %> ms<br>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Nothing to it.

Joe