    Hi Karen,

    I think that in the case of RPG processing, then copying files over vs.
a Java program using SQL or file input and writing straight to the output
files ( assuming well written programs in both languages ), it's likely in
Java's favor.  That's due to double writes, file opens and closes in the RPG
option.  Also to some extent, per the optimization question, due to adaptive
compilation for longer running programs - if not now, then in the future.
Properly written, the Java program would also allow you to run the same
process on other boxes if a later decision was to go back to NT, Windows,
Linux, etc.  If it had been written that way originally, you wouldn't have
to do anything now except for changing the JDBC driver used and
source/target files, which could all be soft coded properties.

    RPG with the Unix API's would probably be fastest at runtime - for now.

    RPG calling Java would probably be the worst, although not as bad as in
the case of multiple users.

    Now that you have my opinion on three possible outcomes for an
application I know almost nothing about, I think you should use a different
criteria set.

Do you see Java and SQL in your company's future?

Do you instead want to use and possibly expand current RPG/ILE capabilities?

    This seems to me to be a pretty straightforward app that would allow for
a good learning and tuning experience either way.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400