   The last time I used CPYTOIMPF, it did not remove
trailing spaces.  Admittedly, that was several years
ago - perhaps it has changed.  But at the time, it was
a major problem (one of the fields in the file I was
converting was 32K varchar).
   The options to CPYTOIMPF depend on your familiarity
with API's and calling Java, whether you prefer to do
something within or outside your comfort level, and
what you think you might need to know for the _next_
project.
   I have used the write(), open(), close(), and
stat() API's called from ILE RPG (these are in the
Unix section of the API reference).  If you want to
give these a shot, they do offer flexibility and
performance.  I must admit that these API's were,
shall we say, not intuitive.  (But, to quote Jon
Paris, you only have to be smart once when you code
something like this.)
   If you do not feel like beating your head against
that particular wall, check out the ILE RPG
Programmer's Guide for the section on calling Java
from RPG.

Hope that helps,
Don