The console messages are appearing because the errors are directed to
standard output or standard error.
Default standard output/error is the q-shell console.

You can override standard output and error system-wide by making the
following two entries in file
/QIBM/UserData/Java400/SystemDefault.properties:

os400.stdout=file:/yourdirectory/stdout.txt
os400.stderr=file:/yourdirectory/stderr.txt

Or if you only want to override stdout/stderr on an individual basis, you
could place a SystemDefault.properties file with the above two entries in
the home directory of the user.

Generally I want to know if an Exception has been thrown when I call java
methods from RPG.
My usual way of doing this is to wrap all my java code in try/catch blocks.
If an Exception is thrown, I add some code to the catch logic which stores
the Exception in a public variable. When control is returned to the RPG
program, the RPG program then examines this Exception variable for a
non-null value to determine if an Exception has occurred.

John Thompson

|         |           edouard.lanteigne@a|
|         |           bbott.com          |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           java400-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com        |
|         |           13/05/2004 01:07 AM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           Java Programming on|
|         |           and around the     |
|         |           iSeries / AS400    |

  |       To:       java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                 |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  RPGLE calling java method

Hi,

I have an rpgle that calling a java method, when the class throw me an
exception i can see the java console, is there a way to hide this console?

Here is what i see...

         java/net/Socket.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;I)V+1 (Socket.java:95)

 sun/net/NetworkClient.doConnect(Ljava/lang/String;I)Ljava/net/Socket;+1
    (NetworkClient.java:45)
         sun/net ............................................ ing;I)V+1
(HttpCli
   ent.java:334) :              Pricing System              :
         sun/net :                                          :
ient.java:520)
         sun/net :      The request has not completed       :
a/lang/String;IZ)V
   +136 (HttpCli :      sucessfully, please contact         :
         sun/net :      Helpdesk.                           :
(HttpClient.java:
   280)          :                                          :
         sun/net :..........................................:
et/www/http/HttpCl
   ient;+15 (HttpClient.java:292)
         sun/net/www/protocol/http/HttpURLConnection.connect()V+35
(HttpURLConne
   ction.java:417)
         Pricing.sendData(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V+37
(Pricing.jav
   a:100)
         Pricing.getResponse(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;+106
(Pricing.
   java:168)

 ===>

 F3=Exit F4=End of File F6=Print F9=Retrieve F17=Top
 F18=Bottom  F19=Left   F20=Right F21=User Window

Edouard Lanteigne
Abbott Laboratories (Canada),  Systems Analyst
Tel: (514) 832-7124    Fax: (514) 832-7833
E-mail : edouard.lanteigne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.abbott.ca