> From: David Morris
>
> Deployment and running of Java vs RPG to different
> environments is a wash. Both languages are controlled by a combination
> of environment variables and library lists.

You're only able to use library lists in Java if you're using iSeries
extensions.  JDBC certainly doesn't support them, so I'm at a loss as to
what this statement means.

> A bigger challenge is not
> with the language or library lists it is with shared authentication
> between platforms.

Which is butt simple in a pure OS/400 environment and hard as hell in a
heterogeneous world.  All the more reasons to avoid secondary platforms
if possible.

> As far as flexibility, RPG can use pointers and
> pointers to pointers but doesn't support interfaces, proxied access,
> parameterized types, reflection, or a mechanism to use parameterized
> types.

I don't need a single one of these things to be built into the language
in order to write business applications.  For example, what in the world
do you need reflection for?  And Java's support of types is really poor,
and it won't be that much better in Tiger.  As to interfaces, I can do a
real good job of simulating those myself, as I can indeed with just
about any feature of Java.

> For most business code pointers to pointers and proxies are overkill.

And for all business applications, EJB is overkill.  What's your point?
I agree that some of the stuff the compiler folks have put into RPG is
not necessarily making business development easier, but so what?  Some
of the stuff really does work great.  If you're trying to sell me on
Java as a better language than RPG for developing business rules, then
you need to go find another customer.  I spend most of my time writing
tools and doing UI stuff, and I'll still outcode you with RPG any day of
the week on any typical business transaction.

Joe