Dieter,
        That makes sense. Thanks for your input. I am using the JTOpen
JDBC driver, and according to their web site there should not be any
problems, so I should be safe. The main reason I asked is, as I said
before, stored procedures on the iSeries that return open cursors are not
thread safe according to the JTOpen web site (see
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/faqjdbc.htm#faqB4),
and I did experience problems because of that on an earlier project.
        Unfortunately I don't think synchronizing access to the stored
procedure will work well in this situation. This stored procedure will be
used by at least two web applications which will support at least 3
million hits per month. With that kind of traffic I assume synchronizing
access to the stored procedure would create a really bad bottle-neck. So,
I am a little gun shy and couldn't find anything specifically mentioning
thread-safety of RPGLE stored procedures and didn't want to assume it
would work until I checked with some people that were more experienced in
this area than I am. Again, thank you for your response.

Dan Feather

Dieter.Bender@xxxxxxxxxxx (Dieter Bender)
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/07/2003 12:20 PM
Please respond to Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400