   Yes.  I am running 4.1.18 on a V5R1 box.  The
following is what I did, and may illustrate that I
don't know what I'm doing, but I did get it to work.
The worst part was figuring out the change to
setclasspath.sh.
   Good luck.

Install
   Download Tomcat from web (
http://jarkarta.apache.org )  ( the build I got was
4.1.18, file name was jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18.zip ).
   FTP the zip file to AS/400.
   Unzip using jar ( start QShell via QSH command then
issue "jar xf /yourDirName/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18.zip"
- wait for $ prompt to reappear).

Configure
   Change default ports (8080 and 8007) if necessary
(EdtF
"/yourDirName/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/conf/server.xml")
( I left them alone ).
   Clone
"/yourDirName/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/bin/startup.sh" (
I called it start400.sh ) and edit the CATALINA_HOME
variable to point to the tomcat install directory (
/jarkarta-tomcat-4.1.18 ) and the JAVA_HOME variable
to point to the jdk you want to use (
/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk13 ).  Change the EXECUTABLE
line to refer to the clone of catalina.sh (
catalina400.sh ).
   Repeat the above steps for a clone of shutdown.sh (
shutdown400.sh ).
   Clone catalina.sh ( catalina400.sh ) and change the
CATALINA_HOME variable as above.
   Got tired of cloning stuff and changed
setclasspath.sh directly.  Change was to comment out
tests of JAVA_HOME.  If you don't do this tomcat
doesn?t start.  (My guess is they left this in to keep
the lightweights out, but I got in anyway.)
   Edited user/password file
/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/conf/tomcat-users.xml to create
admin and manager roles and users.  This file needs to
be secured in some fashion.
   Created CLPs and CMDs to issue QSH calls to
start400.sh ( TOMCATON ) and shutdown400.sh (TOMCATOFF
).  The programs should be submitted to batch.

Run Tomcat
   Submit call to TOMCATON and wait a few moments.
   Open browser and point to
'http://iSeriesSystemName:8080";.
   Click away to your heart's content.
   When done, submit call to TOMCATOFF.
   When installing projects, place in the webapps
directory within Tomcat.

--- Yildiray Ozen <yildirayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>