Eclipse rocks.  I spend about 7 hours a day on it where before I used about
10 different tools (JBuilder, IdeaJ, Kawa)and now all I use is eclipse.  It
took me a week to get used to the way it does things but now that I am
"converted" I love it.

I have built 2 commercial applications so far with SWT.  It certainly is
quick and slick.

This may have been said but to make it clear.  An SWT app when run on linux
looks and feels like linux on MAC it looks and feels like a mac application
and well you know windows and how that behaves.

Some things I found intersting in SWT.

-- the Table componenent is lacking.  No complex editors allowed and only
text entries on the tables no graphics in the tables
-- don't expect the SWT components to have all the features that Swing does.
Swing is a complete GUI and SWT is enough to get the job done.  Where you
may have 4 or 5 options of how to implement something in Swing with the SWT
often you have one.  For example in SWT if a component is going to be inside
another component, swing lingo this would be a button non a panel for
example, you need to know this at the time you call the constructor on the
button and pass the panel in the constructor forthe button.  You will be
surprised how many times this throws a gumball into your thinking where in
Swing you cna create teh button and use it on one panel remove it and use it
on another panel.  This is just one example there are lots of things that
SWT simply does differently thn Swing.
-- difficult to write complex picture mask/edit word like fields
-- the form layout manager is very powerful. if you have ever tried making a
professional looking gui and given up on the standard layout managers this
is the layout manager for you.  Straightofrward and easy to use.  It
inspired me to write an equivalent one for Swing (I haven't released the
code but if anyone isinterested I Can email it to them).
-- if you compile your java to native code with GCJ or Jove your SWT app
will be about 5 megs smaller than Swing.  Much of SWT is implemented in a
dll that relies on the OS to do the work thus the smaller size.
-- SWT flies.  I have swing apps on 200 Mhx machines and it the speed is
noteicably slow.  As an experiment we converted parts of the app to SWT
(though after doing it I wouldn't recommend mixing swing and swt) and it was
noticeably "snappier" thn the swing counterpart.

So there it is the good and the bad...

regards,
Glen Marchesani