David,

The issue is availability.  Suppose you have a web site with the
requirements of an eBay or Amazon.com, how do you service that site with
an iSeries?  Even using something like Mimix all that does is let you
mirror a system to serve as a backup, it does not allow you to present the
two systems as one to distribute load.  Failover is not instantaneous.
Things like applying PTF's or even performing backups introduce
unacceptable amounts of downtime.

With the clustering support in Unix/Linux systems you can service any
system in the cluster at any time without effecting the cluster.  You can
add systems, remove them etc...

What is the TCO on all of that?  I have no idea, but if I have the
requirement in the first place does it matter?  The simple fact is that
the iSeries is not capable of meeting the requirement regardless what your
budget is.

By the way, as you know I am iSeries all the way.  I am just repeating
what I have read but it makes sense to me and I cannot think of a way that
the iSeries could meet the requirements.

Mark

"David Gibbs" <david@midrange.com>
Sent by: java400-l-admin@midrange.com
11/04/2002 11:51 AM