> From: Dieter Bender
>
> Sorry Mr. Pluta,
>
> excuse me, I didn't recognize that this is a rpg hardliner
> mailing list. It's
> foolish, that a statement pro java is flame in a java-400l
> mailing list. And
> its foolish, that I have to declare a man, who is teaching java, what is
> multithreading, sorry, I won't do again.

Dieter, I'm one of the biggest advocates of Java on the iSeries, and have
been for years.  I've written two different commercial products that use
Java.  I've taught on the subject all over the world - I even taught classes
to IBM in Tel Aviv.  I've given seminars, sessions at COMMON and even
written a book on using Java with the iSeries.  I author a monthly WebSphere
column for MCMagOnline.

I have tried VERY hard to get Java accepted into the mainstream legacy
shops.  The IS staffs aren't stupid - they know that Java is great for some
things and RPG is great for others.  Unfortunately, Java scares many shops
because they don't have the expertise, and sometimes programmers are afraid
that they might lose their jobs.

That's silly, of course, because nothing TODAY beats RPG and native DB2/400
for the types of legacy business applications we deal with on the iSeries.
However, as Blair points out, the next generation of applications - data
mining, storefronts, and so on - will require another language, and Java and
SQL together provide much of that.  So we need to get iSeries shops up to
speed on these languages and have them working WITH the legacy applications,
or else we're going to see more and more shops moving completely off the
platform, and those of us who love it will have to find other work.

It's a bit of an effort sometimes to get Java accepted.  It works best when
we can show Java getting along with existing legacy applications - using
Java as middleware to RPG business logic, so that new programmers with great
web design skills can work hand in hand with seaqsoned RPG veterans who have
forgotten more about application development than many of us will ever know.

The problem comes when somebody starts making unfounded statements about how
Java will outperform RPG in legacy applications, and how RPG is outdated,
and the iSeries is a dinosaur.  The staffs know it's not true, and so Java
begins to lose all credibility, even in situations where it's really well
suited.  So, what I try to do on this list is keep it FACT-based.  If you
have facts, that is, hard numbers, then share them.  If not, blind opinions
don't help.

I'm sorry you're upset by my stance.  However, it's not going to change.
This is NOT a list for RPG bashing, or for iSeries bashing.  I'm not sure
what you're trying to accomplish here, but I hope it's to add your knowledge
and expertise to the task of getting Java and the iSeries working together.
I'm sure you have a lot to contribute, and I hope you can live with my
vision of this list.

Joe Pluta
Moderator