> From: Dieter Bender
>
> And now the java way to do this.
> I have one java main job, this job opens up up to 16 connections to the
> database, then the job splits into up to 16 threads, each thread
> with its own
> connection to the database (= Server job). Now I have 2 jobs per
> cpu running,
> doing my work. Thats the way o get more speed by adding a lot of
> overhead. (I
> don't want to discuss how to do this in rpg, maybe in another list). the
> balance of work is easy scalable by using stored procedures, by
> instance to
> get workload to the database jobs.

Yes, this is the parallel processing I was talking about in my response to
Larry.  It certainly can be done, although it requires carefully designing
the process so that the problem set is broken up into pieces, and that each
job can do two things:

1. Mark a piece "in process"
2. Mark a piece "complete"
3. Get the next "unprocessed" piece

This requires a view over the database that can react to changes from
different jobs, like a logical view.  Before version 2.0, JDBC wasn't very
good for creating dynamic views over the database, but now you can create
scrollable cursors that reflect changes by other jobs.

Once you've done the above, though, this sort of approach will definitely
help batch jobs.  The only problem then is having enough disk arms,
something the iSeries USED to very good at, but which IBM seems to be moving
away from in favor of larger, cheaper drives.  But that's a different story.

> I must confess, that my first statement on this was a little bit
> provocative,
> but thats the only way to get attention for this.

That's okay, you certainly managed to get the list buzzing!  We haven't had
this much discussion in a long, long time, and I think it's all good
discussion.  We even managed to get Blair and Larry chiming in, which is
fantastic!

Joe