> From: Chris Hanisch
>
> So Basically what I've been hearing is that:
>
> 1) Java can't really be as fast on the iSeries (AS400) as RPG (at least as
> easily as RPG can currently).

Correct.

> 2) Java has more long-term benefits - such as OO object-Oriented and
> therefore is more in-line with other technologies whereas RPG/ILE
> is as far
> is it is going.

ILE is a powerful technology that is continually being expanded.  RPG IV and
free-form RPG continue to be enhanced.  In fact, I'd argue that there have
been more extensions to the RPG language than the base Java language in the
last few years.

> 3) There may be some sacrifices in performance using Java and it will be
> necessary to use GUI in Java - No Green Screens.

Correct.

> 4) In order to stay up-to-date with technology and not feel like
> a dinosaur,
> from a programmer's perspective, it is foolish to not begin using Java on
> the iSeries in some way.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Java is a programming language, not a
technology.  It has strengths and weaknesses.  It's strength today lies in
middleware development, its weakness in the lack of Java business
applications.

> I definitely don't want to see RPG get in the same place as COBOL and find
> myself being a dinosaur.

RPG and COBOL have both been "dying" for decades.  On the other hand, where
are all the Pascal programmers?  The Smalltalk programmers?  Or even the C++
programmers?  While I expect Java to have a longer lifespan than most
languages, I also don't expect RPG or COBOL to be gone any time soon.

> Based on all of this discussion, what would you suggest ?

I suggest you determine your business requirements.  The iSeries is above
all else a business application machine.  I think a combined effort of Java
(for web application serving) and RPG (for business logic) is an excellent
technology.  No one language fits all requirements, and the best solution
combines the best features of all languages.  When your only tool is a
hammer, all problems begin to look like nails.

Joe