Glenn --

I'm pretty much dumbfounded here.  You shouldn't need the export
CLASSPATH because the JDK should be taking care of that for you with its
bootstrap classloader which doesn't even look at your CLASSPATH.  You
might try removing that export.

Short of that, I can only suggest that send me (privately, if you wish)
your whole java program and I'll have a look at it and try it on my
system.

Does /java/com/weycogroup/whse/ATS.java use code page 819?  You might
want to check this in WRKLNK or Ops Navigator.  The only other thing I
can think of is that String has some weird encoding.  You might want to
look at the file in hex and make sure it looks like 53 74 72 69 6E 67.

HTH,
Gary