Daniel Eyers,

I guess it  depends on your perspective, and you are right, you
do not need to run an SMTP server on your iSeries to send email.
I have written C, Java, and RPGIV programs to do just what you
describe. The mail protocol is pretty simple, all you have to do is
connect to an SMTP server and supply the correct data. That
protocol is text based, which makes it easy to do from any
language.

If you do not have an SMTP server it is possible to run one on the
AS/400. A lot of people do. The SMTP server supplied with the
AS/400 is pretty outdated and is a dead product. James (the
Jakarta project) is much more capable and runs on my system
just fine.

David Morris

>>> daniel.eyers@honeywell.com 11/30/01 08:37AM >>>
I'm not sure this is correct.  We open a port to an existing SMTP (not
on
the iSeries) and blast the data down the pipe...

can send code if you want....

dan