To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Web-Facing Tool
> To: java400-l@midrange.com
> Subject: RE: Web-Facing Tool
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:02:16 -0400
>
> >Does anyone know why the product runs as an interactive
> session?
>
> Technical for the moment.  Lest this devolve into a flame
> war against the
> interactive CPU limit, yes, I know that the technical
> reason is in essence
> an artificial marketing limit imposed by hardware
> (interactive feature
> card.)
>
> "Technical" because the RPG program is performing I/O
> against the 5250
> datastream.  Only inside the internal OS/400 5250
> handlers, there's a switch
> to send the output to the servlet engine instead of the
> workstation
> controller.  As far as the system knows, the I/O is 5250.
>
> "For the moment" because IBM have been saying that they
> want to make it part
> of the batch workload in the future.
>   --buck
I would not recommend the Web Facing tool anyway. You have to maintain
RPG and Java for any changes to the application. It's no way to Java.
And what about Websphere on AS/400??? The full featured enterprise
edition is neither available for as400 nor announced; when big blue
takes it away from as400 your applications are taken away.
And what about rewriting all tools (VAJ, Websphere development studio
etc.) based on eclipse - that will change all of this tools and the
applications as well. then you throw away all VAJ stuff and maybe your
web-faced apps too. Dieter