  • Subject: RE: Aaron Bartell's RPG/Java comparison
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:50:11 -0600

Actually, Brad, you're about as wrong as you can get, in my opinion.  Yes, you
can solve any programming problem in any language that has certain basic
features.  This has been proven mathematically.  However, some languages are
FAR better at certain types of problems than other languages.

For example, there are certain specialized languages that are designed to
handle unique requirements, such as process control or parallel processing.
While I could do the same thing in RPG, I'd be a blithering idiot to do so.
Instead, I should always try to use the language best suited for the job at
hand.

For text-based output and processing of variable amounts of data, RPG performs
quite poorly compared to languages such as PERL, Java and even Basic.  On the
other hand, for direct access to and manipulation of disk-based business data,
RPG has no peer.  The ability to directly add two numbers after reading a
database, with no programmatic conversion, is a pretty unique characteristic,
and is why RPG is lights years ahead of just about any other language.  As a
side note, SQL can do the data access bit, but falls apart when it comes to
navigation, but that's a different issue.

JSP and servlets talking via some sort of messaging mechanism to an RPG
back-end is a FAR BETTER mechanism than RPG-CGI for a properly separated UI/BL
environment.  This is because maintaining and modifying the format of the HTML
within your compiled program is difficult at best.  Even through the use of
Java, there are issues about release compatibility that will require new
adapters to be written, but the amount of work to do that in a properly
implemented OO solution is far less than the non-OO service program interface
of ILE.

I was programming in Java for a year and a half before I began to even dimly
understand the power of a true object-oriented approach.  Only after writing
hundreds of thousands of lines of code do I now consider myself even competent.
 So before you start trash-talking Java as "theory" vs. "reality", write some
real code.  Perhaps you'll then have gained some insight into the OO world, and
if nothing else, you'll have earned the right to take your potshots.