If you are an RPG programmer new to Java, I have to disagree with many
people who claim you SHOULDN'T use an IDE to learn Java.
My experience training new programmers is that VisualAge for Java
is a great IDE to get you productive quickly with proper direction.
You can produce simple applications and parts of complex ones
very rapidly as new person if you learn the IDE.   The concept is not
much different than when you learned AS/400 RPG....   When you
were new to the AS/400 and you wrote your first display file program,
a manager probably had you key in the DDS for a display file into
SEU to build your first display file program.  That was a one time
experience so you had a basic understanding of what was behind
a screen.  After that you immediately started using SDA for all
your real work and generated the screens.   Saying you should
learn Java without an IDE if your new is about as practical as
saying you should avoid SDA if you're learning the AS/400 and RPG....
The other comments on this thread explain the steps well of
doing that first Java program 'by hand' in an editor and moving
it the AS/400.   VisualAge for Java is has unique advantages as
an IDE FOR RPG programmers but it does require a 'high' powered
PC for  developer (realistically 128 mb memory and 500 mb of disk
for VisualAge if you are using the Enterprise edition.  I like that much
memory for the Professional edition (about $150) as well if you can
get it...

Jim Mason

Message text written by INTERNET:JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Nooo..p, you got to enter your code in to the note pad and then down load
it to the AS400 as a streem file under the directory.  Just to browse and
simple edit you can use "EDTF"  AS400 command, but make sure that CCSID is
proper for java source.

Go through if you can, it will give directions in a very simple manner
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r4/ic2924/info/java/rzaid/n
tvfrm.htm

-Thanks

sbadve@crowechizek.com on 01/19/2000 06:32:25 AM