  • Subject: Re: Some experience - as400 server side java
  • From: pluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:01:06 -0500

>Hey,
>
>Thanks everybody for your kind answers regarding java usage on the
>as400.
>
>If i had to sum the posts regarding server side java it will come to:
>
>1. It is not trivial to interact with legacy code.
>2. You must use jdbc for commit support.
>3. Debug is not easy.
>4. The supporting env. are "on their way".
>

>What i understand is: if today i have to develop an application with
>client - server architecture where the server side needs to interact
>with legacy system it will be faster and easier to develop the server
>side with COBOL (well structured of course :) ).
>
>Am i wrong ?
----------

1. Correct

2. No!  You can use the toolbox and use native I/O calls!  The toolbox directly
supports commitment control.  And with my JDB/400 package, you can use methods
like SETLL and READE.

3. Debugging on the AS/400 is not too easy, but you can write your programs on
the client and test them there.  Then you can move your classes up to the
AS/400.

4. We'll see.  I'm reasonable satisfied developing the way I develop today
(VAJava on Win98), although I may move to Linux when VAJava for Linux comes
available.  But until IBM truly merges the JVM with OS/400, Java is going to be
weak.

Finally, as to your conclusion, I tend to agree.  My architecture of choice
today is Java client on the workstation talking via data queue to an RPG server
on the AS/400.  However, I would definitely design my client/server interface
with the idea in mind that I will be moving to OOP soon (which means servers
represent objects and messages represent method calls).