  • Subject: Re: Re JBuilder
  • From: Philip Jordan <pjordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:11:47 -0700

Depends on the version of Jbuilder. I have found Jbuilder 1.xx -- Pro to 'bloat'
the code. However, using the Sun JDK instead I get much better performing code.
also reduce the number of potential problems by removing Jbuilder from the
'mix'.
Look at your imports. Try to only import what you need. Instead of import
java.io.* use  import java.io.DataStream.*. I realize the IDE is wonderful, but,
we aren't getting to the 'write once, run anywhere' goal with Jbuilder.  I
haven't had the chance to try Jbuilder 2.0, so I can't help you there.

Kawa is  an interesting IDE. Try to get the eval copy at
http://www.tek-tools.com/kawa. This allows you to use the Sun JDK. Problem is
the
AS400 is only supporting up to version 1.1.4. So Swing classes aren't available
to you (yet).

I have never seen any of our code take too much resource from the 400. However,
we use JDBC to get to the data, and SQL to retrieve and update to DB2/400.

Cheers!
.

by way of David Gibbs wrote:

> Has anyone done anything with JBuilder yet?  Has it impacted your system's
> performance horridly?  Today, after doing a demo exercise with JBuilder I
> found our user response times system wide had gone from sub-second to 5+
> seconds.  There was one prestart job that steadily climbed to 85% of the
> CPU.  I ended that job and 50 or 60 others that seemed related to our
> JBuilder exercise and restored sub-second response time.   Unless we did
> something horribly wrong, Java on the AS/400 is not a choice, at least not
> for us.
>
> --
> +---
>
> +---