Pete Helgren wrote:
Likewise, I didn't find anything immediately promising. I have seen some other RUI technologies like Flex working with PHP but haven't seen anything in EGL land that mixes technologies .
Rich UI in general and EGL Rich UI in particular is a different animal than any of the thin client server-side technologies such as JSP Model 2 (implemented in EGL via JSF) or any of the scripting languages. With all server-side techniques the page is formatted on the host and then sent to the browser. That's why server-side languages are historically terrible at rich client; at the end of the day, you still have to do most of the work on the server.

EGL Rich UI is entirely different. You use the standard EGL syntax you learned for server-side, but rather than generating a Java servlet which in turn generates HTML (with some embedded JavaScript for a "rich lite" experience), the tool generates a complete JavaScript application which runs in the browser on the client and only goes to the server when it needs data.

The beauty of this approach is that it can incorporate *any other technology*. If you have a well-behaved PHP script, you can call it from an EGL Rich UI client. Or a SOAP service - written in RPG-CGI, if you desire. Or of course a server-side EGL web app. This also includes things like Google and with a simple HTTP proxy you can even call outside services.

It's a complete paradigm shift, and as far beyond server-side scripting as ILE is beyond RPG III. That's one of the reasons I try to get people to ignore the scripting stuff; it's as out of date as Net.Data, and your time is better spent learning the new rich world of mashups and dashboards. I hope I can get some examples up this summer; we'll see.

Joe