Hey - here is a response from the EGL development team:

Your build descriptor is missing the linkage property to tie the linkage to
the build descriptor. Try adding this:

<BuildDescriptor
.
.
.

linkage="ExternalLinkages" >

</BuildDescriptor>

Will Smythe
Product Line Manager
Rational Business Developer and EGL
IBM Rational Software, RTP, NC
919.254.8771
smythew@xxxxxxxxxx

Visit the EGL Cafe - http://www.ibm.com/rational/eglcafe

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|Pete Hall <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|06/30/2009 08:43 PM |
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
|Re: [EGL-i] Trying to execute a command on the i |
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>
|egl-i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx |

DeLong, Eric wrote:
Pete,

Did you add JT400.jar to your project? Just copy it to your WEB-INF/lib
folder.

Regarding the part details, the example I see shows:

Thanks again Eric. I do have jt400.jar in WEB_INF/lib, and the
powerpoint is what I was working from originally, although I found it
somewhere else. I made the linkage elements exactly as you suggest, but
still no difference. I don't think it's getting far enough to attempt to
connect to the remote i. At least I can't find anything in the system
history log. I believe the show stopper is the
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException for com.vcpi.services.COMMANDONI. I was
using QCMDEXC before, but changed it to match the example. EGL doesn't
seem to be generating the class. It doesn't make any difference if I
specify a package in the LinkageOptions section of eglbld or not. It
still says it can't find com.vcpi.services.<whatever>.

Here's what's in eglbld:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE EGL PUBLIC "-//IBM Corporation, Inc.//DTD EGL Build Parts
6.0//EN" "">
<EGL>
<BuildDescriptor
name="Submit835BatchWebBuildOptions"
genProject="Submit835Batch"
system="WIN"
J2EE="YES"
genProperties="GLOBAL"
genDataTables="YES"
dbms="DB2"
sqlJNDIName=""
deploymentDescriptor="Submit835Batch"
serverType="TOMCAT6.X"

</BuildDescriptor>
<LinkageOptions name="ExternalLinkages">
<callLink >
<remoteCall pgmName="COMMANDONI" alias="QCMDEXC"
conversionTable="CSOE037" library="%LIBL%" luwControl="CLIENT"
remoteBind="GENERATION" remoteComType="JAVA400" remotePgmType="STATEFUL"
location="systemb.vcpi.com"/></callLink>
</LinkageOptions>
</EGL>

--
Pete Hall