Actually I got the Web Service with TOMCAT 6 to work now, had to delete
the web.xml and the webservices.xml files. These files seemed to have
some stuff from the WAS runtime environment that was generated before, and
TOMCAT didn't like that.

I copied the jt400.jar into folder TOMCAT6.0 \lib, since I had a couple
of TOMCAT installs I had to make sure it was in the one that actually is
used in this workspace.

If you want, I can send you the PIF, I am running RBD 7.5.1.1

Here is the build descriptor :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE EGL PUBLIC "-//IBM Corporation, Inc.//DTD EGL Build Parts
6.0//EN" "">

<EGL>
<BuildDescriptor
name="call_cmdWebBuildOptions"
genProject="call_cmd"
system="WIN"
J2EE="YES"
genProperties="GLOBAL"
genDataTables="YES"
dbms="DB2"
linkage="call_cmd_on_i" serverType="TOMCAT6.X" j2eeLevel="1.4">
</BuildDescriptor>
<LinkageOptions name="call_cmd_on_i">
<callLink >
<remoteCall pgmName="COMMANDONI" conversionTable="CSOE037"
location="torasedu" alias="QCMDEXC" remoteBind="GENERATION"
remoteComType="JAVA400" remotePgmType="STATELESS" luwControl="CLIENT"
library="%LIBL%"/></callLink>
</LinkageOptions>
</EGL>

here is the deployment descriptor:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<egl:deployment xmlns:egl="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/egl/deployment/7.0";>
<webservices>
<webservice enableGeneration="true" implementation="services1.
commandfori" implType="1024" style="document-wrapped"/>
</webservices>
<restservices>
<restservice enableGeneration="false" implementation="services1.
commandfori" implType="1024" uri="commandfori"/>
</restservices>
</egl:deployment>

Claus Weiss Visual AD tools, email: weiss@xxxxxxxxxx
Dept XF6 IBM Canada Lab tie 313-3987 Phone(905)413-3987 FAX(905)413-4850
Greetings from Toronto
Rational Software System i - Ecosystem Team

Claus Weiss/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: egl-i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/02/2009 02:39 PM
Please respond to
EGL on and around the IBM i <egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

EGL on and around the IBM i <egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [EGL-i] Trying to execute a command on the i

I played with it a bit today.
I can make it work running it as a normal web project in TOMCAT and in
WAS, invoking it from a jsf page.
I can also make it work as a web service in WAS but as a web service in
TOMCAT I can't get it to work.

Claus Weiss Visual AD tools, email: weiss@xxxxxxxxxx
Dept XF6 IBM Canada Lab tie 313-3987 Phone(905)413-3987 FAX(905)413-4850
Greetings from Toronto
Rational Software System i - Ecosystem Team

William A Smythe
<smythew@xxxxxxxx
om> To

Sent by: EGL on and around the IBM i
egl-i-bounces@mid <egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
range.com cc

egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
egl-i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/02/2009 01:44 Subject

PM Re: [EGL-i] Trying to execute a
command on the i

Please respond to
EGL on and around
the IBM i
<egl-i@xxxxxxxxxx
om>

Hey - here is a response from the EGL development team:

Your build descriptor is missing the linkage property to tie the linkage
the build descriptor. Try adding this:

<BuildDescriptor
.
.
.

linkage="ExternalLinkages" >

</BuildDescriptor>

Will Smythe
Product Line Manager
Rational Business Developer and EGL
IBM Rational Software, RTP, NC
919.254.8771
smythew@xxxxxxxxxx

Visit the EGL Cafe - http://www.ibm.com/rational/eglcafe

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Pete Hall <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| To: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|06/30/2009 08:43 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Re: [EGL-i] Trying to execute a command on the i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|egl-i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

DeLong, Eric wrote:
Pete,

Did you add JT400.jar to your project? Just copy it to your WEB-INF/lib
folder.

Regarding the part details, the example I see shows:

Thanks again Eric. I do have jt400.jar in WEB_INF/lib, and the
powerpoint is what I was working from originally, although I found it
somewhere else. I made the linkage elements exactly as you suggest, but
still no difference. I don't think it's getting far enough to attempt to
connect to the remote i. At least I can't find anything in the system
history log. I believe the show stopper is the
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException for com.vcpi.services.COMMANDONI. I was
using QCMDEXC before, but changed it to match the example. EGL doesn't
seem to be generating the class. It doesn't make any difference if I
specify a package in the LinkageOptions section of eglbld or not. It
still says it can't find com.vcpi.services.<whatever>.

Here's what's in eglbld:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE EGL PUBLIC "-//IBM Corporation, Inc.//DTD EGL Build Parts
6.0//EN" "">
<EGL>
<BuildDescriptor
name="Submit835BatchWebBuildOptions"
genProject="Submit835Batch"
system="WIN"
J2EE="YES"
genProperties="GLOBAL"
genDataTables="YES"
dbms="DB2"
sqlJNDIName=""
deploymentDescriptor="Submit835Batch"
serverType="TOMCAT6.X"

</BuildDescriptor>
<LinkageOptions name="ExternalLinkages">
<callLink >
<remoteCall pgmName="COMMANDONI" alias="QCMDEXC"
conversionTable="CSOE037" library="%LIBL%" luwControl="CLIENT"
remoteBind="GENERATION" remoteComType="JAVA400" remotePgmType="STATEFUL"
location="systemb.vcpi.com"/></callLink>
</LinkageOptions>
</EGL>

--
Pete Hall