john e skrev den 18-06-2008 17:44:
But instead they completely lost control due to M$ market forces, didn't know what to do, and in the 90's Gerstner made the elephant dance by focusing on open technologies and open source. This is all good, but i think they (and we) lost a great opportunity here.
Just a side note.

Eclipse is an initiative by IBM and has basically crushed all other Java IDE's, leaving only IntelliJ and Netbeans of which only IntelliJ is apprarently generating revenue. The interesting thing here is that it is basically an Open Software project done _right_ - users create bug reports, developers use the latest bleeding-edge version, and everything is out in the open. As you all know IBM then create their commercial offerings on top of this platform, and users even complain that it is not the newest version so something is done right :)

I think that Eclipse has been an experiment - can we do it this way and earn money? - and a very successful one at that. Hopefully this will lead to the vaults being opened...