Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:26:15 -0500
From: joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx; rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx; egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EGL-i] EGL and RPG - The Fastest Path to the Future

There's been some discussion both on and off the list about what EGL
bodes for the future of the platform and specifically RPG. I've been
pretty clear in my opinion that EGL may be the best thing to happen to
RPG since the display file, but I've heard a lot of muttering that "IBM
is going to kill RPG".

To find the truth, you have to recognize that IBM isn't a single
monolithic entity. While there is definitely a segment of the EGL team
that believes EGL can do anything RPG can do, another segment
understands full well that there are billions of lines of RPG code out
there - the last thing I read was that we're actually *adding* four
billion lines a year - and that a fundamental requirement of efficient
modernization involves taking advantage of that legacy code... and those
legacy programmers!

If you'd like to see a discussion of this issue that falls more in line
with this view of modernization, go here:

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/i5/february08/qa/19749p1.aspx

Joe