Thanks. I try to clean and regenerate the project and restart the server whenever I ran into something. It is actually weirder than that. Last week I had no problems and then over the weekend I attempted to hook up to my DB2 for i5/OS DB. There are some subtleties I had to work out and I did a lot of comparing of the imported project we used in the workshop to the project I created from scratch and I finally figured out that I needed a context.xml file in the META-INF folder that would point to my JNDI resources. That solved a weird JNDI error but then I had a class loading error (sigh!). I contacted the guy who presented the course and he ran me through a one on one interactive tutorial for about an hour on Memorial Day (those IBM guys are phenomenal - doing a one on one to solve a problem on a holiday no less....). We got stuff running great in WAS 6.0, I even have debugging available, but that was in a separate workspace.

I finally figured out my class loading issue with Tomcat in the old workspace and got the application running but now I can't debug. I can't debug anything, even the stuff I had working in the imported project, so I guess my poking around to solve my other issues have broken something else.

The latest issue in this project in this workspace is I get the following stacktrace when I start the server:

May 27, 2008 4:31:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.faces.FacesException
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verifyImpl(Native Method)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:63)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:124)
at java.lang.Class.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:1301)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3713)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4216)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:736)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:448)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)

It is acting like it can't find the .jar but jsf-api.jar is in web-inf/lib. It may be the reason the debugging isn't starting...or maybe not. Still trying to resolve this on. Meanwhile, if I jump back to the new workspace with only the single WAS project, the exact same code works fine. That is my backup right now so I can keep "experimenting". I may just dump everything I have done in the old workspace and create a new one and but my Tomcat project from scratch, since I know what to look for. Perhaps I'll get my debugging back then.

Thanks for chiming in. I was afraid no one else had subscribed to the EGL list.

Pete


Aaron Bartell wrote:
Try restarting your app server. If a signature to a Java class got changed then it won't necessarily be able to stop at that breakpoint again, and if you have silenced the reminders that popup each time you do this then you wouldn't have been notified. This is something I run into from time to time with regular JSF so I thought it might be your issue also.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

When I right click my JSP page and select "Debug as" and "Debug on
server" the application doesn't break at the breakpoint, although it
runs. Server status shows "Debugging". At one time I had this
working
but I must have broken something (no surprise there). I must be
missing
something simple but don't know what. What should I check ?

Pete

--
This is the EGL on and around the IBM i (EGL-i) mailing list
To post a message email: EGL-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:EGL-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/egl-i
or email: EGL-i-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:EGL-i-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/egl-i.



This thread ...

Follow-Ups:
Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2020 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].