I support Dekko, and a spin off.  They both had this issue.
I've heard offline from someone else that also received the same
recommendation.

I even keep a couple of pattern files in a save file now.  Turns out that
some of these older ones were also whacked during one run.

This other offline person ALSO (as in addition to the above issue)
questions, like me, whether or not having multiple SMDupd's running at the
same time are supported.  For example if you have
DPAR1 (Domino partition 1)
DPAR2
DPAR3
all on LPARa (i5/os logical partition a) and they all kick off SMDupd (3.0
version of PUPDATE) at the same time, if conflicts occur.  Part of the
resolution to that is to clear off some files that are stored in an ifs
directory that is NOT unique to any particular dpar.  Granted, you can
schedule stagger them, but if your dpars are down for awhile won't they
all kick in and play catch up?  Even so, try estimating how long SMDupd
may take at a maximum and stagger eleven different dpars.