Still unable to find much useful information on this.  I'm sure it's more
due to my lack of expertise than the tools available.  To that end, is the
Management Central piece dependent on some process running on the iSeries?
 It fails to start when I try to start the sample monitor and I'm not
having much luck (between support calls, of course) locating documentation
to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Patrick

----- Forwarded by Patrick Trapp/RTSC on 01/06/2006 11:17 AM -----

Patrick Trapp/RTSC
01/05/2006 05:09 PM

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Normal CPU?

Well, I said the other day that the problem was gone, but it recurred
shortly after I read your message.  At least I have the logging options
suggested by Walter in place this time...

Regarding your suggestions:

1 - DSPSFWRSC doesn't show 5722PT1 on my server.  Which I guess you
already knew, since I didn't have WRKSYSACT available.  Thanks for the
suggestion on the Management Central -- I'll check it out.

3 - I've had that particular option active for at least two years.  Before
we went behind our antispam provider, I used that (and Hold Undeliverable
messages) to harvest spammer information and block their IP addresses from
connecting to my server.  Time-intensive and of limited success, but it
made a difference and made me feel better.  ;-)  Once we were behind the
antispam server, I enabled that option on the server.

Patrick

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+ptrapp=nex-tech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/04/2006 01:47 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Normal CPU?

1 - I don't think WRKSYSACT is part of PM/400.  It's part of 5722PT1.
Performance Tools.  See DSPSFWRSC
A workaround is to use the Management Central part of ISeries Navigator.
Nice charts - will catch overnights, etc.
iSeries Navigator
Management Central
Monitors
System
Dig from there.  We love it.

2 - Newer machines can run at ungodly percentages.  Especially these i5's.

 Not uncommon for us to hit over 200% of the CPU.  When I say this I
usually get a snicker from someone who wants to know how to overclock
their iSeries cpu also.

3 - Biggest performance increase we ever got was moving to R6 of Domino
and changing
Configuration Document (not server document)
Router/SMTP
Restrictions and Controls
SMTP Inbound Controls
Inbound Indended Recipients Controls
Verify that local domain recipients exist in the Domino Directory - Enable

that.
Before, we'd get a bazillion messages in the mail.box that we'd have to
manually clear out a couple of times a day.  Otherwise mail would just
about come to a halt.
Having said all that - probably unrelated to your issue.