I've been trying to set up my domino R6.5.1 server (on V5R2) as a
certificate authority, using the Domino R5 CA database. So far I can
register my domino server as a trusted root CA in browsers and created
digitial certificates for my office pc and my pc at home. I've also
accepted the CA in the Server CA database as a trusted root too. My goal
is to setup s/mime for email authentication and encryption, and test it by
using my work email account (notes) and my home email account (outlook).

When I request and install my digital certificate into my browser at home
I can send a signed email to the office, and then send encrypted email to
my office. At the office, I've accepted the digital certificate (which
creates a cross-certificate in notes) and can read enctypted email sent
from home. Works great.

But when I try to do the same thing from the office, when I send a
digitially signed email to home, when outlook opens the email it indicates
that the digitial certificate has a 'nonvalid digitial signature'. I've
been trying to figure this out now for two weeks and am out of ideas...
Any input here would be appreciated.

I've tried exporting the certificate from the browser and installing it
into my id file - using what seems like every format and option available.
I've used the admin client to request an internet certificate too.

So Sunday night I find 5-6 files that were created within the last three
days. They are named IDBxxxxx.DTF where xxxxx is a series of digits. They
are in my domino folder in the IFS of my iSeries. Anyone know what these
are? Are they safe to delete? My guess is that they may be related to the
certificates I've added and removed from my ID file, since I've created
many internet certificates which were subsequently added and removed from
my id file because of the non-valid digital signature error mentioned
earlier.

I even gave up on the R5 CA database and tried using the Server CA - but
the configuration of that gives me a stupid error (server error: file not
found) that gives me no indication of what file the error is in reference
to. So now I'm back to the R5 CA and am frustrated as heck. I've followed
the notes help, admin help, seached domino web sites, the domino 6 forum
all with no luck. Even my local BP indicated they had no experience
setting up s/mime.

Where do I go from here? Walmart?

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern
IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer & RPG IV Programmer
MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*****
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and