Steve,

I've had to put up with the 10 years experience (1 year 10 times) but since she
was hired out of college it was more of 12 months (2 weeks 24 times). This was
on the early System 36 and we had to literally explain the RPG cycle every
month. It turns out that her visa had expired before she was hired. The manager
that hired her would not fire her. It took a change of manager and two weeks to
get her walking papers signed.

More recently I have seen the HR mess. A company I was consulting for wanted to
hire a programmer and as the only technical person I took care of that part of
the interviews. After the first one, which I had tagged as an impostor after
five minutes on the phone, the HR director wanted me to detail why I rejected
them. I made the mistake of telling her how I had asked the applicant if they
always designed databases to fifth normal form. BTW this applicant responded
with one word "Yes". I later found out that in the first conversation she had
with each subsequent applicant SHE asked this question. I had tried to explain
the basis of normalized database design to her but, she was the type that
thought you could run a full HR department for a 300 employee EEO plant on one
excel spreadsheet. This female was another example of your lawyer. She was
sticking her fingers (not just her nose, which I don't mind as much) in to so
much of the rest of the company, while her department kept falling behind, that
they called her HB (H*ll B**ch) or PHB (Dilbert...) and most local vendors
wouldn't deal with the company anymore.

I don't go around saying someone has to use a computer in a certain way because
I am certified. Nor do I place it more than on basic materials that may be
placed before people that don't know me. It provides a lot of openings for me to
explain what I have done to gain and keep a certificate. And that is the first
part of marketing, getting an opening to provide the second part which is to
differentiate yourself from others.

Roger Vicker, CCP

--
*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com