From: owner-consult400@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-consult400@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Larry Bolhuis
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 9:02 PM
To: CONSULT400@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Hello World

Hello all,

  If there's a place to start a snowball from, Jenet's in the right
place!

  Over here in Michigan (not a flake of snow, heck it's over 50 now!)
the business is steady but not brisk. Most interest is in Web stuff for
sure. Our company has gone from 0 people on web projects as of 1/1/00 to
three at this time. We have assigned only one programmer to an RPG
contract during that period.

  As for upgrades (hard and soft) the hardware side is very confused by
the 8xx announcements and nobody is moving until they get that straight
in their minds.  Also holding back hardware upgrades are the
astronomical software upgrade prices being quoted today. Since the y2k
upgrade rush is over it appears the MAPICS, JDE, BPCS, etc software
houses are desparate for revenue.  One example is a BPCS customer who
just upgraded to a 720-2061 (70/240cpw) from a 500(43cpw) for "around
$75,000", and was quoted $1,300,000 for the BPCS updgrade!!!!! GADZOOKS!
That's so far off base it's just plain goofy. Mind you there is NOTHING
new in the software, it was copied from the 500 (already RISC), only a
key was required.  We've even had customers with USER BASED pricing on
their software told that they STILL needed to pay an upgrade charge when
changing models! (So what's the point of User Based pricing I then
ask??)

  Something has GOT to give on the software charges as these guys are
pricing themselves flat out of the market and taking the AS/400 with
them.  We've had several customers jump to NT for just that reason.
Haven't seen any go *NIX though.

  My .02 for now.

  - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  IBM AS/400e - Get There First!