  • Subject: Re: Hello World
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <eMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:12:56 -0700

Helllloooo world! ;-)

Just to start off, I'm about to go into rant mode, but I'm going to try
to play nice.

<QUOTE> Midrange Systems March 13, 2000 Vol. 13, No. 4
"Dave Andrews, of consulting firm D. H. Andrews Group (Cheshire, Conn.),
agrees the idea of an entire open-source ERP system is intriguing, but
is skeptical that such a far-reaching application initiative in the
public domain is feasable.  Andrews is even more skeptical, however,
about the decision to construct WyattERP as an RPG based set of
applications."
</QUOTE>

<QUOTE> Midrange Computing July 2000, Vol 13 Issue 3 byline: Thomas M.
Stockwell, D. H. Andrews Group
"Many industry analysts have said that the projected rise in Java and
Domino will be the death knell for the AS/400.  They believe that
companies will move their applications to Java and then, at the first
possible moment, abandon the AS/400 for less expensive and more popular
platforms.  Yet this logic seems to fly in the face of the survey
First of all, as shown in Figure 3 [not included], the continued high
use of the AS/400 as a development server through year 3 (91 percent)
indicates there is no substantial movement downward."
"However, the really significant indicator of AS/400 stability is the
use of the traditional language of the AS/400: RPG."
</QUOTE>

<QUOTE> Midrange Computing July 2000, Vol 13 Issue 3 byline Ted Holt,
"IBM Clarifies the Future of AS/400 Application Development"

"RPG Lives!
Does this mean that RPG is going to be around for a while? Without a
doubt."
</QUOTE>

IMHO, the same people that are crying that the AS/400 and RPG is dead
are the same people that said that the mainframe and COBOL was dead in
1972.  Personally I think that D. H. Andrews Group is in a situation
where they are talking out of both sides of their mouth so no matter
what happens they can claim to have "predicted" the future.

There are more options available today then there have ever been.  Until
Java can print it can not be put to global commercial use.  Now I'm I
dyed in the wool true blue RPG'er, but if you want mainframe to PC
computability, get an ANSI COBOL compiler.

If you want the AS/400 to kick butt, stick with RPG and use any and all
other available languages to capitalize of their strengths and use them
judicially and prudently.

OK, I did start to rant a bit, but I tried not to spit while I talked
=;-}