Just to throw my 2ct into this discussion.

I think than VS Code with extensions is a great tool - but als long as you do really serious development in COBOL or RPG on IBM i using the "classic" source code store in physical source files als members, there is not really a way around RDi.

And with yearly licensing around 1200$ per seat (and AFAIK you can get it even cheaper) it's no so expensive compared to the machines.

Regards,
Daniel